3/10/08

Brewers Batting Order

While the pitching rotation is still far from decided, the Brewer's batting order is still up in the air.
We know that Weeks will bat first barring anything unforeseen. Hardy will be given every opportunity to bat 2nd, and I know the Brewers would love to have him there. But if he struggles like he did at times in the 2nd half of '07, Mike Cameron (after his suspension), Tony Gwynn Jr (during Cameron's suspension), Corey Hart or Bill Hall would be candidates to fill the 2nd spot. This is where it gets intriguing. I would like to see Braun bat 3rd, Fielder 4th, and Corey Hart 5th. However, Yost could end up going with Fielder 3rd, Braun 4th and Bill Hall 5th. I personally would see Cameron in the 6th spot, followed by Hall 7th, Jason Kendall 8th and the pitcher 9th. In cases where our pitcher can put the wood on the ball (Gallardo comes to mind), I would consider hitting the pitcher 8th, and Kendall 9th. Here's my batting order, if I'm Ned Yost:

Weeks
Hardy
Braun
Fielder
Hart
Cameron
Hall
Kendall
Pitcher

P. Higgins
wisconsinsportsfans.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Jim Jodie said...

i like your batting order P, but i question the move of putting Fielder at 3 instead of 4. isn't he the guy that pitchers fear more? i guess i'm just not sure if Braun can handle the 4th spot this year. Either way, i'm really interested to see Gwynn play for the first 25 games during Cameron's suspension. He's real hungry right now.

Packer Pat said...

Tosa Jimmy,
Great point on Fielder. My reasoning is yes, pitchers fear him tremendously, partly due to his size and name and long ball prowess, but I believe it's Braun their more weary of. His SLG was better than Fielders, and he, like Fielder, appears unflappable. My thinking is that it'd be nice to get someone on base for Fielder. Granted, that will result in more intentional walks for Fielder, but that's why I'd bat Hart 5th. He finished third to Braun and Fielder in SLG and won't be a guy pitchers are glad to see. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

P. Higgins
wisconsinsportsfans.blogspot.com